Birdwatching in outdoor environment has been a favorite tourism activity in West Papua. The Association of Indonesian tourist guides of Fakfak regency (DPC HPI Fakfak), in cooperation with KSDA Fakfak; partners of forest police (MMP); dan land owners of Fakfak nature reserve, offer affordable tour package for visitors who want to hear the beautiful sounds of birds and see wonderful nature of rainforest.
It takes around 20 minutes by motorized vehicle to reach the forest. Visitors could enjoy wildlife watching along the provincial road. For those who want to go trekking into the jungle, they have to be accompanied by our guides who have got the experience and are familiar with the rainforest.
The nature reserve of Fakfak plays a very important role as the location for the forest-based tourism activity of the regency. It is the natural habitat of birds that are endemic to Papua Land including birds of paradise that have become the target of observation for domestic and international visitors.
|1 Day Birding Tour in Fakfak town is also availabe for visitors|
Based on our previous survey trips in the nature reserve, we have recorded seven species of birds of paradise as listed below:
- Lesser Birds of Paradise (Paradisaea minor)
- Magnificent Riflebird (Ptiloris magnificus)
- Magnificent Bird of Paradise (Diphyllodes magnificus)
- King Bird of Paradise (Cicinnurus regius)
- Glossy-mantled Manucode (Manucodia ater)
- Trumpet Manucode (Phonygammus keraudrenii)
- Crinkle-collared Manucode (Manucodia chalybatus)
Besides birds of paradise, visitors can also watch other species of birds in this forest including:
1) Northern variable pitohui
2) Rusty pitohui
3) Papuan helmeted friarbird
4) Brown oriole
5) Golden myna
6) Yellow-faced myna
7) Papuan pitta
8) Northern hooded pitta
9) Black sided robin
10) Banded yellow Robin
11) Emperor fairy-wren
12) Papuan Hornbill
13) Grey crow
14) Rufous billed kookaburra
15) Syma torotoro
16) Papuan babler
17) Black-capped lorry
18) Palm cockatoo
19) Shulphur-crested cockatoo
20) Eclectus parrot
21) Papuan mountain-pigeon
22) Pinons imperial pigeon
23) Superb fruit doves
24) Black billed cuckoodove
25) Great Cuckoodove
26) Papuan frogmouth
27) Western Crowned pigeon
28) black billed brushturkey
29) Northern Cassowary, and a lot more.
|Passenger terminal of Torea airport in Fakfak town|
How to get to Fakfak town?
- Take an international flight from visitors' country of origin to Jakarta
- Continue your trip by taking domestic flight to Sorong city. Garuda, Lion Air, Batik Air and Sriwijaya Air have got regular daily flights between major cities in Indonesia to Sorong city.
- From Sorong city, visitors can continue their trip to Fakfak town by passenger ship or by airplane.
- Local guides from the Association of Indonesian Tourist Guides (HPI) are able to arrange tours for visitors who take their holiday in Fakfak regency.
Birdwatching and wildlife watching can be done all year round in Fakfak. The tour is quite flexible and can be adapted to the interest and time of the visitors.
The Association of Indonesian Tourist Guides (DPC HPI Fakfak)
Prayogo (chairman) +6281354797622
Aponk (special interest and wildlife watching)
No HP/ WA : 081248106599
Email : email@example.com
IG : https://instagram.com/aponkrusdy?utm_medium=copy_link
Fakfak regency, West Papua Province
Republic of Indonesia